On Saturday May 13, Feinstein’s at the Nikko presents a rare San Francisco concert performance by Bernadette Peters at the Palace of Fine Arts Theater. While best known for her work in the theater, a look back at Peters’ career reveals that she’s also made formidable marks in the worlds of film, television, recording and even philanthropy.
Here’s a trivia quiz that will challenge even Peters’ most arduous fans and provide plenty of surprises for casual admirers. (Answers will appear here on Friday, May 5.)
1. Bernadette Peters’ upcoming San Francisco concert has been created in collaboration with musical director, conductor and arranger Marvin Laird. Peters has been working with for 56 years, since meeting him at age 13 in the production of what musical?
2. Peters received her first Tony Award nomination for her role as Hildy in On the Town. Since that nomination, Peters has been nominated seven times and won two Tonys. For what 1985 musical did she win her first Tony for Best Leading Actress?
3. Peters has appeared in 33 feature films or television movies, working with celebrated actors and directors including Clint Eastwood and Woody Allen. In 1981, she played her best movie role according to one critic, and won the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture Actress in a Comedy or Musical for what film?
4. The Theatre Hall of Fame honors lifetime achievement in the American theatre. In 1996 Peters was inducted into the Theatre Hall of Fame, which was noteworthy not only for the recognition but also because of what other factor?
5. While Peters got her start in show business at the age of three-and-a-half on the television show Juvenile Jury, she didn’t obtain her Actors Equity Card until the age of nine. She registered under the name of Bernadette Peters, which is not her given name. What is her family name?
6. In 1977 Peters become involved with a famous actor, who later wrote a role for her in The Jerk, a movie they costarred in together. They continued dating while filming another movie together, Pennies from Heaven. What was the name of Peters’ celebrity beau?
7. Peters is an animal rights activist and has adopted all her dogs from shelters. In 1999, working with Mary Tyler More, she started Broadway Barks, an annual animal adopt-a-thon in New York City. Her love of animals inspired her to delve into another artistic pursuit, writing. In what genre does Peters write?
8. In addition to several Grammy Award winning cast albums, Peters has recorded six solo albums. She received Grammy Nominations for three of them, including Sondheim, Etc. – Bernadette Peters Live At Carnegie Hall and Bernadette Peters Loves Rodgers & Hammerstein. What was the name of her third solo album, in which Peters branched out from traditional Broadway material and included covers of popular songs by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Lyle Lovett, and Billy Joel?
9. Peters is known for her voluptuous bombshell figure, curly red hair, and brown eyes. She prefers to keep things natural and has kept her curly locks over the course of her fifty year career and has been quoted as saying, “You’ve gotta be original, because if you’re like someone else, what do they need you for?” Her natural beauty and popularity led to her appearing on the cover of which popular American magazine in December, 1981?
10. After her performance as Rose in the Sam Mendes-directed revival of Gypsy, Peters took a six year hiatus from the Broadway stage. She returned in 2010 to replace Catherine Zeta-Jones in the Broadway revival of what musical?
11. Peters’ talent transcends the stage. She’s made noteworthy appearances on television programs, including The Muppet Show, Ally McBeal, The Carol Burnett Show, Will & Grace, and Smash, even earning Emmy Award nominations for two of her guest-starring roles. Since 2014, Peters has had a recurring role on the Amazon streaming series Mozart in the Jungle and most recently she’s played a recurring role of Lenore Rindell in a television spinoff series on CBS. What is the name of that show?
Find the answers here on Friday, May 5
Special thanks to trivia master Caitlin M. Long